You have probably seen many photos that were taken at a themed photo session. Your friends’ kids got their latest pictures taken in matching Western outfits. Your aunt had a movie theme for her wedding pictures. There are countless theme ideas you can use to make your photos interesting, unique, and a reflection of your personality.
If you are considering a themed photo session, answer the following questions discover your ideal theme:
1. Is this photo session indoors or outdoors? If it's outdoors you’ll probably want to consider a theme that suits the current weather.
2. What season is it? If you are looking to use a specific backdrop or seasonal prop, use Mother Nature’s current display as your theme.
3. Do you love a specific historical era, such as the 50's? Or a particular TV series like Star Trek? There are so many eras and movies that you can draw inspiration from. Make a list of shows, movies & eras that you and your family love.
4. Do you have specific hobbies? Perhaps you are an animal lover, a sports fan or have a passion for fashion. Make a list of your interests and your theme might just jump out at you.
5. Is this a major life event? Use your pregnancy announcement or your wedding as the perfect excuse for a fun photo session. Use a setting and props that speak to both you and your partner’s interests. There is also tons of inspiration on websites such as Pinterest that you can turn to for ideas.
Whatever theme you decide to choose, make sure that it speaks to your personalities so that you genuinely enjoy the process. Themed photo sessions are also usually a great way to encourage children to be involved and to get them excited.